The walled kitchen garden with elegant gardener’s house, designed by Samuel Wyatt in 1805, was once a centre of horticultural excellence. It is currently undergoing a major restoration project. The gardeners grow early 19th century crops, with tools, techniques and dress of that period. Glasshouses, orchard, mushroom tunnels and the head gardener’s house are still to be restored. Jointly owned by the National Trust and Staffordshire County Council.
This 2 acre walled garden was constructed in 1737-8. It was revived 2006-11 with 200 new dwarf pyramids and 50 wall fruit. It has a vinery, and Victorian and Edwardian glasshouses. Most is now under cultivation, but Easter to September events take place in an Indian pavilion. Produce is sold in the farmers market and jams and chutneys through a tearoom and shop, also open Easter to September. Leaflets available.