A Grade 2 listed Mansion with a modern extension, courtyard to the front and with an attached plunge pool. There is an attached walled garden to the rear of the premises. The plaque on the Mansion has a date of 1674.
A former merchant’s house which sits within it’s arboretum, gardens and parkland, now houses the Local Authority Museum in the Park. The two storied mansion has an attached walled garden with an elaborate 18th century gate. To the side of the mansion sits a courtyard with a modern extension. This courtyard serves as the entrance to the Museum. The walled garden has recently been transformed from a derelict site into a contemporary garden with a learning Pavilion. It is probable that the 17th century house had a kitchen garden, however the earliest surviving elements are 18th century in date.The walls are 1.8 to 3 metres in height and are brick inside and limestone blocks outside except for the East wall which has the reverse.
The garden is run by a team of volunteers supervised by museum staff. There are historic variety fruit trees, a wide variety of flowering plants and shrubs, herbs and some raised beds for vegetables.