A major restoration project has restored this early garden, which has two walled gardens: the upper an ornamental garden designed by Penelope Hobhouse, and the lower is a traditionally planted productive garden. There is also a crab apple tunnel and a small lean-to glasshouse.
The 18th century walled garden has been undergoing a major restoration project, cultivation is underway, restored glasshouses are in use, there is a good range of backsheds, including mushroom house, root store, fruit store and bothy. The two acre orchard includes many local varieties and is also being renovated.
Ballywalter Park is a private dwelling designed by Sir Charles Layon in 1846, commissioned by Andrew Mulholland Esq. Currently owned by the 6th Lord Dunleath, Brian Henry Mulholland. Gardens were laid out for the earlier house in 1730. Mature trees and Rhododendron collection dominate the pleasure grounds. A 2,8 acre walled kitchen garden was established in the 1730’s, the walls, backsheds, water supply, hotwalls and pithouse are in good condition, the glasshouse(s) in fair condition with heating pipes still visible. While animal housing is in good condition the gardeners housing and bothies are delapidated. Pithouse is now used for propagation, glasshouse used for peaches, nectarines, apricots, grapes, roses and physalis…. Read more »