This 2 acre walled garden was constructed in 1737-8. It was revived 2006-11 with 200 new dwarf pyramids and 50 wall fruit. It has a vinery, and Victorian and Edwardian glasshouses. Most is now under cultivation, but Easter to September events take place in an Indian pavilion. Produce is sold in the farmers market and jams and chutneys through a tearoom and shop, also open Easter to September. Leaflets available.
Privately owned 2 acre oval walled garden, restored after many years neglect, with traditional fruit, vegetables, cut flowers and a large greenhouse. The walled garden is part of a 50 acre garden which can be visited all the year round by groups and individuals by appointment. Tours with a member of the gardening staff available. All proceeds to Scotland’s Gardening Scheme charities, email firstname.lastname@example.org
The two acre 19th century walled garden offers a space ‘to relax or play’. Outside the garden, the Courtyard Community is a collection of small businesses offering a range of opportunities from shopping to landscape design. Also a garden shop, treatment rooms and the Hothouse café.
18th Century Walled Garden, rhomboidal in shape and 1.5 acres in area. Restoration over the last 5 years has involved the building of a three-quarter span (Alitex) Glasshouse, planting of soft fruit and top fruit (including many old apple varieties), keeping chickens, developing a cut flower border and a continuing project working with the horticultural Thrive growing vegetables for the Brewhouse. Tearoom.
As this kitchen garden is adjacent to Cowdray’s ruined medieval mansion, it doubles as a reconstructed Tudor garden and a show place for the rusted iron artefacts, arbours, trellises and plant supports made by the local company ‘Room in the Garden’.
Described as ‘an exciting contemporary garden’, the 41⁄2 acre walled garden has been recently landscaped and planted (2004) to a modern design by Piet Oudolf. Interesting to visit for it is an elegant, though non- productive, alternative use for an old kitchen garden.