Eighteenth century walled garden adjoining pleasure grounds. Listed walls and Orangery. Remnants of lean-to glass on north wall. Partly in use as a temporary car park for this newly acquired NT property but restoration is underway and the eastern quarters are already being developed as community gardens and old fruit varieties are being replanted.
The walled kitchen garden with elegant gardener’s house, designed by Samuel Wyatt in 1805, was once a centre of horticultural excellence. It is currently undergoing a major restoration project. The gardeners grow early 19th century crops, with tools, techniques and dress of that period. Glasshouses, orchard, mushroom tunnels and the head gardener’s house are still to be restored. Jointly owned by the National Trust and Staffordshire County Council.
The historic Stackpole Walled Garden on the National Trust estate at Stackpole offers a glimpse into a bygone age. For the past 250 years it has produced food for the table and that long tradition continues to this day. It is managed by the trustees of Pembrokeshire Mencap Ltd and provides valuable work experience and horticultural training for Pembrokeshire adults and young people with a learning disability. Plants and produce for sale in the garden shop. Pick your own soft fruit in season. Free admission.
Large walled garden with glasshouses in extensive grounds. Wall, doors, gates in good condition. Glasshouses in use, need attention. Frames in use, need attention. Extensive backsheds, workrooms and stores in use. Animal housing, stables etc converted to offices Gardener’s house(s), cotteage(s), bothies in use within garden. Wells, ponds, tanks, towers Tanks in use. Orchards, figs and exotic flower beds. Produce used to supply college. Planting includes kitchen garden crops and glass crops, figs and apples. On the boundary of the proposed Stanstead Airport extension.
A Grade 2 listed Mansion with a modern extension, courtyard to the front and with an attached plunge pool. There is an attached walled garden to the rear of the premises. The plaque on the Mansion has a date of 1674. A former merchant’s house which sits within it’s arboretum, gardens and parkland, now houses the Local Authority Museum in the Park. The two storied mansion has an attached walled garden with an elaborate 18th century gate. To the side of the mansion sits a courtyard with a modern extension. This courtyard serves as the entrance to the Museum. The walled garden has recently been transformed from a derelict site… Read more »