Privately owned, group tours are available.The kitchen garden of 3⁄4 acre is surrounded by a long ‘crinkle-crankle’ or serpentine wall. It was the first in the country to be accredited by the Soil Association. Adjacent to the walled garden are the enclosed rose garden and the apiary.
Doveridge Hall was a Georgian house designed by Edward Stevens and built in 1869 by Lord Waterpark, a branch of the Cavendish family. It was sold in 1890’s due to financial difficulties. (The title was Irish and caught up in Irish problems of the time) The property was bought by Lord Hindlip from Worcestershire. His family were Allsops who were brewers in Burton upon Trent about 10 miles away. The family entertained Edward VII at Doveridge especially when visiting the Derby races. On the final sale the house was eventually demolished in 1938. The Park, possibly designed by Eymes, remained largely intact and likewise the gardens. The walled kitchen gardens,… Read more »
A garden centre occupies the glasshouses (now fully restored) by the well –known manufacturer Messenger and part of the old 23 acre (9.3 hectare) kitchen garden at Welbeck Abbey. There is a restaurant with pictures of the old kitchen garden, the rest of which is now a car park and a paddock, though 180 year-old pear trees still adorn the walls.
Established in Victorian times, 75 metres square walled garden. Wall, doors, gates: Door OK, new gates required. Glasshouses and Frames were demolished in 1970s. Shed converted to school building 1990s. Backsheds, workrooms, stores all converted to use as boarding houses. Animal housing, stables etc demolished over the years. Wells covered and capped. Ornaments on walled garden corner still in place. Currently not in use, looking to restore and bring back into production as school project. Project planning still at early stage.
Grade I listed walled garden, restored to its early 18th century design. Featuring wall-trained and free standing fruit trees, lawned areas, gravelled walks, two large ponds, borders, hedges, roses, pleached limes, ornamental parterre, an Irish yew walk and the National Ivy Collection. Restored glasshouse.